- An employer shall issue to an employee a certificate of service upon termination of employment unless the employment has continued for a period of less than four consecutive weeks.
- A certificate of service issued shall address:
- a) Name of the employer and his postal address.
- b) Name of the employee
- c) Date when the employment of the employee commenced.
- d) Nature and usual place of employment of the employee
- e) Date when the employment of the employee ceased and any other particulars e.g. position held.
Note: An employer who by neglect fails to give an employee a certificate of service or who knowingly includes a false statement in a certificate of service, commits an offence and shall be on conviction be liable to a fine not exceeding ksh.100,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or both.