This entails movement of passengers and goods by units of carriage e.g.trucks,cars,lorries,bicycles,motorcycle,buses,trailers,taxis .the roads could be earth roads/foot paths,modernhighways. The type of road of a place depends on economic welfare of that place.
ADVANTAGES OF ROAD TRANSPORT.
- It is faster over short distances.
- It is readily available especially in well-developed roads.
- Promotes industrial growth.
- Roads are widely spread throughout the country therefore many places are accessible
- It is a source of employment to drivers and conductors.
- Special facilities e.g. refrigerated trucks make it possible to transport perishable goods
- Usually flexible.
DISADVANTAGES OF ROAD TRANSPORT.
- Causes traffic congestion and jam especially in towns and large cities.
- It is slow and expensive when carrying bulky goods over long distances.
- They cause environmental pollution because of gases they emit to the air.
- It is not safe because it is prone to accidents.
- Bad roads may be impassible during rainy season.