The animals used include; donkeys, camels, horses and elephants.
ADVANTAGES OF ANIMAL TRANSORT
- Involves no cost where the owner of the goods to be moved owns the animal.
- It is relatively inexpensive where one has to hire an animal to move the goods.
- The animals used involve little maintenance costs.
- The animals can be used to transport fairly bulky goods as they can bear such loads comfortably.
- The animals can move the goods over fairly long distances as they are physically able to trek long distances.
- It is very flexible, i.e. it facilitates delivery of goods in areas that are otherwise inaccessible i.e. it enables delivery of goods on door-to-door basis.
- It has little negative impact on the environment in the form of pollution
- Not susceptible to delays occasioned by congestion or traffic jams.
- It is economical i.e. animals move when there is a need to do so and not on a fixed schedule.
DISADVANTAGES OF ANIMAL TRANSPORT
- It is unsuitable for the transportation of goods that are rigid in structure e.g. furniture due to the difficulty of fastening them on to the animals.
- It is susceptible to adverse/extreme weather conditions e.g. heavy rainfall.
- It is not suitable for movement for the movement of valuable goods as they can be stolen while on transit.
- It does not protect goods from elements of weather e.g. rainfall and sunshine hence it may be unsuitable in the movement of goods that need special protection
(Visited 202 times, 1 visits today)