There are 3 Categories of life skills:
1. Skills of knowing and living with oneself.
- Self awareness skills – the ability to know oneself e.g. ones abilities, emotions, strength and weaknesses.
- Self esteem and confidence building skills – the way we read ourselves, the respect we accord ourselves and the confidence we have influences and our actions, attitudes and what we achieve in life
- Goal setting skills – self evaluation, self assessment and self motivating skills.
- Skills for managing feelings – anger management, dealing with grief, coping skills for dealing with loss, abuse trauma.
- Skills for managing stress – time management and positive training (personal abilities)
3. Skills of knowing and living with others.
People are social by nature and need to interact with others; therefore, we need skills of living with other people. Skills under this category include:
- Negotiation and conflict management skills
- Assertiveness skills
- Cooperation and team work
- Advocacy skills- that is skill of influence and persuasion (interpersonal relations)
3. Skills of making effective decisions
- Problem solving skills
- Evaluating future consequences of our present action for self and others
- Information gathering skills
- Determining alternative solutions to problems
- Critical thinking skills