This refers to airborne movement of goods and people.it is categorized into local and international.
ADVANTAGES OF AIR TRANSPORT
- It is faster in nature thus perishable goods can be transported over long distances and also urgently needed goods.
- It is not hindered by physical barriers eg mountains.
- It is relatively flexible as remote areas can be reached by chattered planes/helicopter.
- The risk of loss through theft is minimal thus very valuable items like gold can be transported safely.
- It offers accessibility to far off places as it is limitless to stretching across continent.
- The way does not require construction or maintenance.
- The risk of loss through damage is minimized as there is less handling of goods.
DISADVANTAGES OF AIR TRANSPORT
- It is expensive due to facilities and equipment required.
- The carrying capacity is limited thus not suitable for transporting heavy and bulky goods.
- Combustible products e.g. petroleum cannot be transported by air.
- Construction and maintenance of airports, aircrafts are very expensive.
- It requires highly skilled and trained personnel.
(Visited 142 times, 1 visits today)