Organizational strategies for managing stress
- Encouraging more of organizational communication with the employees so that there is no role ambiguity/conflict. Effective communication can also change employee views. Managers can use better signs and symbols which are not misinterpreted by the employees.
- Encourage employees’ participation in decision-making. This will reduce role stress.
- Grant the employees greater independence, meaningful and timely feedback, and greater responsibility.
- The organizational goals should be realistic, stimulating and particular. The employees must be given feedback on how well they are heading towards these goals.
- Encourage decentralization.
- Have a fair and just distribution of incentives and salary structure.
- Promote job rotation and job enrichment.
- Create a just and safe working environment.
- Have effective hiring and orientation procedure.
- Appreciate the employees on accomplishing and over-exceeding their targets.
Individual strategies for managing stress
- The employees should make a “to-do” list daily, prioritize the acts in the list and plan the acts accordingly. Take regular breaks during work to relax you. By effective time management, the employees can achieve their targets timely and can meet work pressures and, thus, avoid stress.
- Do hard work. Strive to achieve your goals but do not do it to the harm of family, health, or peer.
- Indulge in physical exercises. It helps in effective blood circulation, keeps you fit, diverts mind from work pressures.
- Encourage a healthy lifestyle. Take a regular sleep, have plenty of water, have healthy eating habits. Promote relaxation techniques such as yoga, listening music and meditation.
- The employees should have optimistic approach about their work. They should avoid connections with negative approach employees.
- The employees should have emotional intelligence at workplace. They should have self-awareness, self-confidence and self-control at workplace.
- The employees should build social support. They should have close connections with trustworthy peer who can listen to their problems and boost their confidence level. This social network will help the employees to overcome stress.
- Employee counseling is a very good strategy to overcome employee stress. Through counseling, employees can become aware of their strengths and how to develop those strengths; their weaknesses and how to eliminate them; and they can develop strategies for changing their behaviour. Employees are also given career counseling which helps in reducing their ambiguities with regard to career.
- Find a fun way to release stress, such as, cracking jokes, playing tennis, golf, etc.
- Do not remain pre-occupied with yourself. Turn your focus outwards. Help others. This will release some stress.
(Visited 90 times, 1 visits today)