Communication Skills July 2017 Diploma Past paper
Note: To easily navigate through the KNEC Past Examination Paper Pdf below, Mobile phone users are advised to use Mozilla or Chrome browsers
THE KENYA NATIONAL EXAMINATIONS COUNCIL
DIPLOMA IN SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT
DIPLOMA IN BUSINESS MANAGEMENT
DIPLOMA IN COOPERATIVE MANAGEMENT
DIPLOMA IN ROAD TRANSPORT MANAGEMENT
DIPLOMA IN PROJECT MANAGEMENT
DIPLOMA IN INVESTMENT MANAGEMENT
DIPLOMA IN MARITIME TRANSPORT LOGISTICS
DIPLOMA IN HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
DIPLOMA IN DISASTER MANAGEMENT
SECTION A (32 marks)
Answer ALL the questions in this section.
- State three benefits of effective horizontal communication to an organization. (3 marks)
- List four actions carried out by the secretary of a committee before a meeting is held. (4 marks)
- Outline three characteristics of a suitable venue for an interview. (3 marks)
- State four publics that an organization may communicate with. (4 marks)
- Outline three advantages of using visual aids to communicate. (3 marks)
- State three challenges that an organization may face when using the Internet to communicate. (3 marks)
- State three psychological factors which may hinder effective communication among employees. (3 marks)
- State four ways in which information on a notice can be made to stand out. (4 marks)
- State two ways in which an employee may exhibit etiquette in an office. (2 marks)
- State three qualities of a good report. (3 marks)
SECTION B (68 marks)
Answer ALL the questions in this section.
- The government of Songa County has realized that many investors in the county have been relocating to other counties over the last two years. As an administrator, you have been asked by the governor to investigate the matter and write a report. Assume that you have completed the investigations and write the report. (16 marks)
- (a) As the Assistant Human Resource Manager at Peak Limited, write a memorandum to all employees informing them about an upcoming annual appraisal exercise. (10 marks)
(b) Explain four measures which an organization may take to address challenges brought about by social media. (6 marks)
- (a) Digital Self-help Group held its second meeting yesterday and discussed the following agenda items among others:
– Fund raising;
– Recruitment of new members;
– Sponsoring needy children in secondary schools.
As the secretary of the group, write the minutes. (12 marks)
(b) Outline three factors that would lead to increased usage of grapevine in an organization. (6 marks)
- Read the passage below and then answer the questions that follow.
The year 2015 is one that economists around the world will remember for a long time. It was the year that saw some major political, economic, military and cultural upheavals occur around the world. They included major reduction in oil prices, the rebound of the US dollar and the slowdown of the Chinese economy among others. These significant incidents created a highly volatile environment for ail markets.
As an emerging market, Kenya was directly affected by these international events. Indeed, the country faced several challenges among which were the depreciation of the shilling against the US dollar and the British pound. There was also an increase in external debt and the need for money pushing the yield of Treasury bills to more than 23 per cent. In addition there was also a slowdown in the real estate market. On the positive side, the real estate sector remained the focus of investment interest. The sectors’ overall contribution to the gross domestic product remained at 8 per cent.
Real estate experts are optimistic that the sector will continue to thrive up to the next decade. They attribute this optimism to an number of factors. Among them is the growing middle class in Kenya which is searching for affordable and secure homes. With increased congestion close to the city centre, this middle class will have to be housed in the satellite towns on the outskirts of Nairobi.
The housing deficit is a further factor that will continue to promote the real estate sector. According to the National Housing Corporation, there is a housing deficit of more than 200,000 units per annum for the low and middle income market. Most of the ongoing projects target the higher classes with the asking price for a two-bedroom apartment in some areas of Nairobi standing at Ksh 20 million. Supply is targeting the working group so new projects should focus on the middle class and provide premises that are affordable to the majority of those who have a need. Sustained investment in infrastructure and urban planning is another factor. In an effort to decongest the city and address the growing need to attract investors, the government has been investing in infrastructure upgrades. The by-passes around Nairobi and commuter trains are opening up areas for residential occupation at lower costs thus paving the way for real estate development.
At the same time, devolution has created investment opportunities in the counties. County governments are developing infrastructure to support and manage their activities. Massive resources are being spent in infrastructural developments in each county, especially in housing, in order to meet the current deficit. Stakeholders are also addressing the issue of finance as a factor to unlock the real estate growth. This is because, for a long time, high interest rates have continued to hinder the growth of the sector. Banks and other financial institutions have been urged to look into ways of lowering interest rates to enable more people to qualify to buy homes. Moreover, the National Construction Authority was formed to regulate the construction industry. This is going to play a significant role in the growth of real estate. The sector was not monitored and controlled effectively. The authority, therefore, is bringing sanity to the sector thus ensuring healthy competition among developers and quality houses for buyers.
For these factors to materialise, all stakeholders should come together and device methods to sustain the real estate sector. This will not only play a significant role in the growth of the economy but will also address many housing problems facing Kenyans.
Adapted from: Daily Nation, Thursday February 18, 2016
(a) State the meaning of the following words and phrases as used in the passage:
(v) paving the way for;
(vi) look into. (6 marks)
(b) In about 120 words, and according to the passage, explain the factors that will enable the real estate sector in Kenya to continue thriving