OBJECTIVES OF MATERIAL HANDING
The common hand shovel and the baskets were the only material handling tools, until some years ago, but now due to increasing demand for sophisticated handling equipment, material handling system has been revolutionized all over the world.
The main objective of the efficient materials handling is to decrease the costs. Materials handling equipment does not come under the production machinery but is an auxiliary equipment which can improve the flow of materials which in turn shall reduce the stoppages in production machines and thus increases their production.
In brief followings are the objectives of material handling:
(1) Costs Reduction by:
- Decreasing inventory level.
- Utilising space to better advantage.
- Increasing productivity.
(2) Waste Reduction by:
- Eliminating damage to material during handling.
- Being flexible to meet specific handling requirements of different nature.
- Making proper control over stock during in and out handling.
(3) Improve Productivity by:
- Increasing productivity per man-hour.
- Increase in machine efficiency through reduction of machine down time.
- Smoothing out workflow.
Improving production control.
(4) Improve Working Conditions by:
- Providing safe working conditions.
- Reducing worker’s fatigue.
- Improving personal comfort.
- Upgrading employees/workers to productive work.
(5) Improve Distribution by:
- Decreasing damage to products during handling and shipping.
- Improving routing.
- Improving location of storage facilities.
- Increasing the efficiency of shipping and receiving.