- The business operators have a responsibility to protect and improve society and their actions should not in any way endanger a community or society.
- They should display high degree of corporate responsiveness which is the ability of an organisation to relate its operations and policies to the environment in ways that are mutually beneficial to the organisation and the society.
- Every enterprise small or large is expected to make positive contribution
- To the community development
- Product safety
- Employment generation
- Ethical business practices
- Contribution towards educational activities like award of scholarships
- Creating opportunity for apprenticeship training etc
- Undertaking some of these responsibilities may endear the entrepreneur to his host community to enhance his/her image and social standing thus contributing significantly to his business success.
- Every business has a social responsibility to contribute to the development of the society in which it operates. This social responsibility can be carried out in various ways such as
- Supporting and contributing towards environmental conservation programmes
- Ensuring that the goods and services produced and sold to the people are safe for human consumption
- Ensuring that workplace is safe and secure for workers
- Ensuring that the activities of the business do not cause environmental pollution or harmful effects to the surrounding community.
- Supporting and contributing towards social welfare programmes such as contributing towards the care of orphans. , HIV/AIDs victims and flood victims.
Businesses have a duty to obey the laws of the countries in which they operate and also to fulfil their contracts. Businesses are also a part of society and therefore they have a responsibility to maintain healthy and safe surrounding.
This is done by;
- Reducing air and water pollution by applying appropriate waste disposal methods
- Packaging goods in environmentally friendly materials e.g. the polythene bags used for carrying goods from the supermarkets or the shops do not decompose. They therefore make the environment very untidy and unhealthy especially in towns.
- Keeping the business premises and work place clean at all times.
- Preserving the surrounding natural vegetation as much as possible
- Producing goods and services that are safe to use. These may be sold to consumers when safe especially when handling and using.
In conclusion therefore, is the implied obligation of the business acting in its official capacity to serve or protect the interests of community other than itself only.